Monday, April 13, 2015

What's Next?

One of the things I love most about my marriage is how abnormally in sync with one another we are.  This is not "oh, my marriage is so perfect" drivel.  This is just fact.  We work.  We get each other.  When we had the first adoption conversation, it was eerily simple.  "I was thinking..." and "yeah, I was thinking the same thing..."  It just fit, it made sense, it was "us".  And, I know that we are going to really need that closeness and understanding in the months to come.

I work full time.  I like my job, I'm good at what I do, and I'm well compensated for it.  I ain't quitting, is what I'm saying.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  We have kids to put through college and weddings to pay for; Mama needs to work.  So, we knew adopting a baby was not the right fit for our family.  Let's not even mention the fact that Mama is 41, and her baby days are long gone.  And, let's face it, there are so many thousands of couples waiting in line to adopt babies.  But, what about the older kids?  The ones whose parents were unable or unwilling to accept the responsibility of raising them.  The ones who've been beaten, starved, hurt, molested, ignored, abandoned.  The ones who live in foster homes or group homes, who've lost faith in the whole concept of family.

That's where our hearts are.  Those are the kids we feel drawn to.  And so, Cowboy and I are adopting through Child Protective Services.  Yes, I know there can be many, many challenges we'll face from going that route.  Obviously, we've taken a minute to think this through.  We know it will be tough, and we willingly accept the challenge.  We went to the initial Information Meeting a little over a month ago.  And, last week, we began our first requirement, P.R.I.D.E. classes.  I'll be calling it "Squishy School" from now on. "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy".  Name that movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment